Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, March 08, 2008

What NOT to say to your pregnant wife

Jen: (on the phone to a friend) Yeah, I can't really believe how much weight I've gained. 24lbs in 9 weeks! It's pretty crazy. I'm not even going overboard with my eating...

Joe: I couldn't be happier if she were my 4-H project!

(FYI: Joe used to raise 4-H hogs. For those of you who have never raised livestock before, the goal is to get the fastest weight gain for the cheapest amount of feed before fair time. They start with a little piglet that weighs about 50lbs and gains about 200lbs in 100 days. Can you see why I was less than pleased with this comment??)

7 comments:

Deanna said...

He he he...that's a funny one! (And I feel kinda proud that I didn't need the explanation either.)

My advice: stop worrying about your weight gain. You know, I had the biggest belly I've ever seen but I got through it because I didn't even realize how big my belly was. I just kept outgrowing shirts and was totally oblivious until after Daisy was born and I saw pictures of how bad it had been. You are healthy and you are growing. Nothing to stress about!

Amy said...

Hilarious. :) Kevin says, "That's something to be said to your brother-in-law NOT your wife."

raecatherine said...

what? I can't believe Joe let that slip. Is he expecting to get a nice little piglet out of this as well?

Joe said...

I feel the need to explain that Jen was on the phone with our good friend who is married to a 4H leader / county extention agent, and is herself very 4H savy. Besides, didn't I say I was "happy"?

raecatherine said...

this is all in good fun, mister joe! i guess it's hard to convey that in typing, though....

Elizabeth said...

No way, that is hysterical! Not so funny at the time, I'm sure but I actually laughed out loud thinking of Joe saying that and being totally sincere!!

Anonymous said...

lala said... Joseph... one thing about getting older.. you do wise up and acquire some wisdom. Glad to see you are still alive :)