Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, September 22, 2008

an evening out

We haven't had a night out in forever. I have, as Joe calls them, "the new-mom crazies". I worry endlessly: will it mess up his bedtime? will he be safe with a sitter? what if he doesn't sleep? etc., etc. But we needed a night out and, suddenly, we had the perfect excuse: Joe's boss was getting married.
So, we called in some trusty baby-sitters: my mom-friend, LeAnne, and her dad, Jimmy. I was leaving Sam with a nurse practitioner and an experienced parent, so it helped with my new-mom crazies...a little. And Joe and I went out for a romantic evening out for "dinner and dancing" as the invitation promised. We sat with two couples who also have young children and enjoyed our time out. We danced a few dances, but the party broke up around 8:30p, so we headed back home to relieve our crew. And, I missed my baby.
Before we'd left, I'd gone over the bedtime routine with LeAnne and felt sure that they wouldn't have any problems. Sam, apparently, had other plans.
  • He fell asleep well before bedtime and had to be woken up.
  • He cried during his entire bath.
  • He didn't want to put on his pajamas.
  • He didn't want to read any books.
  • The bottle dribbled all over his pajamas...and, as before, he didn't want to put on a new set.
Finally, they got him to sleep...and Schatzi, our fierce guard dog, barked and woke him up.

But, by the time we got home, he was sound asleep. LeAnne said one of two things would happen:
a. Either he'd cried so hard, he'd sleep the whole night...or...
b. He'd cried so hard, he'd used up every single calorie and would want to eat the whole night.
I hoped for option A, but instead got option B. He woke up four times before 2 am and finally I took him to bed with me so I could get two hours of sleep.




It was nice to go on a date with my husband.

I'm sure we'll do it again...

...when Sam goes to college.


3 comments:

Leah Gillette-Fox said...

I've been called a WMO... Worried mom overreacting! I think I like the new-mom crazies better though!

Glad you and Joe were able to get out and enjoy each other's company even if it meant Sam was awake all night.

raecatherine said...

Now you are one hot mama, Jen. You guys look smashing! I can't believe how chubby Sam's cheeks are. Is that the same baby I saw just 2 months ago?

Laura said...

you guys look so great all dressed up! I am sure Sam was so happy to have you back home