Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

a perfect storm

Oh, the weather outside was frightful when Tancie, Sam, and I began our long trek back home from a weeklong visit with Team Eddy. I was exhausted from a week of trying to be a helpful sister, a good aunt to a challenging Noah, and a patient mother to a sick and crabby Sam. Fortunately, Mom and Kevin took Sam the night before (THANK YOU!) and, with the help of 100mg of Benadryl and some ear plugs, I got a good night's rest before our 13 hour drive home over snowy, icy roads. I'm an anxious freak about driving in the snow, but when you combine that with the new-mom crazies since Sam was in the car...I clutched the steering wheel so firmly for 13 hours that by the end of the drive, I couldn't feel my finger tips. Literally. I'm not exaggerating. Let me just say this: I hate Montana snow!

In the meantime, Joe was out exploring the snowy conditions around Idaho Falls when his hippie van decided it was a good time to die. Joe was stranded and had to walk a mile in 4 degree windy weather to a nearby truck stop while he waited for a ride home. He and a friend planned to tow his stupid hippie van the following day, but since it was snowing and the highway needed plowed, the city took it upon themselves to tow the van for us (and left us with a nice impoundment bill...thanks).


So, there we were. Down to one car...a good little car, but a car that is not that great in the snow. And, we're getting ready to head back up to northern Idaho on Saturday. So, last night, Joe and I got this:

It's a 2005 Honda Pilot...except ours is gold. It's got 4 wheel drive, seats 8, can hold 3 car seats (God forbid we ever need 3 car seats, but it's happened to unsuspecting couples before), and can fit the dogs, too. So, we'll be riding in style for Christmas.

Bring it on, Montana snow!!

(Ok, so maybe don't bring it on. I was just kidding.)

7 comments:

Amy said...

Can't wait to see it!

Deanna said...

Congrats! That's pretty darn sweet.

Anne said...

Nice!!! I'd definitely say you guys traded up on the van...never saw it, but can imagine. Still would have liked to have a picture of Joe driving it though. He's run the gambit from a pickup, to flashy Camaro, handy Jeep, hippie van and now this! We are also hoping for good weather - the subzeros and icy roads make for a hard potential decision to cancel our trip from out here. Will keep you guys posted and call!

Laura said...

so spiffy! that will keep you safe for sure, be careful and stay warm ;)

Lacey said...

Nice Choice... watch out those three car seats sneak up on you when you least expect it!

Gus and Jen said...

Congratulations on the hot new wheels! So there is room for 5 more kids, as long as only three are in carseats?

Jeppesens said...

That is the car I wanted. I'm sure you will love it!Did you take a few weeks off of work? Our office is working the day before and after xmas, not much of a vacation. Have a safe and happy holidays. I hope sam is feeling better!