Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Interview Me (part two)

2. Do you like living in Idaho Falls? Why or why not?


For the most part, I like living in Idaho Falls. I love my job and our home. Joe loves his job. The culture embraces physical activity and there are so many outdoor activities to participate in. There’s always someone who’s up for a hike, or skiing, or running (if you’re into running…I’m not). Yellowstone is just a few hours away. Also, for a small city, there is a fair number of fun restaurants and shows. We aren’t the best at making new friends, but we’ve finally started to build some community around here.

Things I don’t like about Idaho Falls…First, it’s far from our family. We spend almost all of our vacation time making the 600 mile drive back up north to visit our family. It would be so great to have our parents and siblings live just an hour or two away. We miss them a lot. If Idaho Falls were a 2 hour drive from Lewiston, we’d probably stay here forever.


The other thing that is difficult about Idaho Falls is the religious overtones that influence everything. There is a strong LDS influence in all things from people asking what ward you attend, to fireworks being rescheduled because the Fourth of July falls on a Sunday, to not being able to order alcohol on Sundays. It’s a little harder on new people here if they aren’t Mormon.

1 comment:

The Farmer's Wife said...

Oh, man! CUTE BABY!!! And not a trace of the trauma with the barstool...

I hope someday I will have the chance to tell my friends what I like and dislike about living in, say, Vienna or Provence. Or Curacao.