Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

weekly wisdom: Sam's first bump

We were in Lewiston last week, helping my mom recover from surgery. (I'm sure having your daughters invade your home with their four kids was super relaxing). As we hurried to get ready for church Sunday morning, I left Sam under the watchful eyes of his Ninang and Lala and ran downstairs to get some toys for Noah.

Halfway down the stairs, I heard Sam crying. Sam hardly ever cries. Earlier that week, he'd pulled a barstool over as he was trying to pull himself up. He fell onto the ground and the barstool landed on top of him. Not a peep. He doesn't cry when he gets shots either.

So, when I heard him cry, I immediately ran upstairs and found my recently-operated-on-no-lifting-over 10 lbs- mother, holding my 23 lb screaming baby. Sam had pulled himself up to standing while holding on to the coffee table and lost his balance, bumping his forehead on the coffee table on the way down.

I picked him up and nursed him while he alternately nursed and cried. A good sized purple egg was forming on his forehead. I felt like throwing up. Amy started calling him the one-eyed-one-horned-flying purple people-eater.

Fortunately, no harm was done and Sam went on his merry way, babbling through Mass and trying to vex his cousin, Noah, by stealing Noah's cars and toys.

Unfortunately, every mother at Mass who came by to say hi also noticed his bump and had to comment on it. As one grandma commented on his bump, tears filled my eyes. She said, "Don't worry, honey. I'm sure it hurt you more than it hurt him."

Maybe so. Nevertheless, I think I'm going to wrap him in bubble wrap and make him wear a helmet until he's 18.

3 comments:

Leah Gillette-Fox said...

When Millie was two and half months old she fell forward when I was holding her and trying to open her play mat... conked her head on the plastic part and she screamed and I was in tears.

I know what you mean about the helmet!

Laura said...

poor Sam...and poor Lola...I hope the surgery and recovery go/went well!!!

raecatherine said...

i'm sure sam will still have a good 'noggin' after all. ouch! hope your mom is doing ok.