Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Thursday, October 29, 2009

getting organized

Something about the thought of having TWO little beings in the house who can instantly destroy a spotless room has made me want to get organized. Make it a little easier to clean up and stay clean. A place for everything and everything in its place. Yada, yada, yada.

Right now, my college roommate Deanna is going, "What! Who is this person and what have you done with Jen??" It's true. I'm really a messy person underneath it all. So is Joe. But you can only have a child undo your work so many times in one day before you start to see the benefits of organization.

I use a similar system from IKEA to sort my laundry and keep it off the floor. (Again, not my nature, but once I found a hobo spider family making a nest in my laundry...you start to see the benefits). So, I bought this toy storage system when I was in Salt Lake last time. So far, it's been worth every penny. Sam doesn't automatically dump out every single toy, but rather just one bin. And, I can tell him, "Put the ball back in the pink bin" and it makes a game out of cleaning up...sort of.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

Good for you! I love it!

I've had to get over my desire to bust out the label maker and start labeling those bins. First, because Daisy's definitely too young to go there yet. And second, we try to rotate out toys every so often so it wouldn't stay current anyway.

Can't wait to see more organized improvements!

Tiffiny said...

Love the bin system from Ikea...well, I love anything from Ikea, really.

We got a 9-bin 'cube' thingy from Target with a few fabric bins for the baby's nursery and I felt so organized when setting it up and putting the various little baby items in the bins. It's addicting.

Leah Gillette-Fox said...

I am inspired! One of these days!

Amy said...

On a side note, I brought one of your spiders home with me in my suitcase last time I visited.

He *won't* be reunited with his family.

Anne said...

We use the bin systems here (mostly for us two BIG kids in the household that more than occasionally lack organization). It's scary to think that getting organized in the house is so high on my list of priorities (as college roommates would also testify)!

Alison and Utah said...

Your bins bring a smile to my face. I love being organised. I'm borderline OCD organised. And I have a label maker that gets used quite frequently. There is no greater pleasure for me then looking at different organisational systems. I think I may need help!