We met Uncle Phil and his friends on the waterfront to tour Alcatraz. It was great to see Uncle Phil and his fun friends and good to get out of the house for awhile. Team Eddy decided to take their own trip to Fisherman’s Wharf at the last minute, so I gave Amy my double stroller and she gave me her Moby wrap for the day.
There are certain lessons I learned that day, which would have made me plan my day much differently had I known them ahead of time.
- Alcatraz is a walking tour, uphill, equivalent to climbing 13 stories. It is not for the physically unfit, the pregnant, or the toddlers who refuse to walk or be held by others.
- Moby wraps are extremely complicated to use. They consist of one long piece of fabric, several miles long, that you somehow wrap in a complicated fashion around your body to secure your baby to your body. It requires no less than 3 people to help you manage the fabric and once baby is attached, he immediately wants down to run around.
- There is no food or beverages allowed in Alcatraz (other than bottled water) unless you are at the dock.
- It was nap time.
By the grace of God, we made it. About an hour into our adventure, Sam was starting to meltdown, so we struggled to get him back in his Moby wrap and he eventually fell asleep. While we took the audio tour (which was excellent…the part I got to listen to anyway…Sam kept stealing my headphones), I carried a sleeping Sam. It was pretty relaxing to hold my sweet son while he drooled on my chest.
Until about 15 minutes later, when my back remembered that Sweet Drooly Son was also a 30lb kid. And, I was already carrying another child in my very heavy womb.
Thoughts that ran through my head the rest of the tour:
- Maybe he’ll wake up and let Phil carry him. He signed “dad” when he saw Phil. He’ll be fine. (No go…Sam slept for 2 ½ hours in that stupid wrap).
- Every other parent there was smart enough to bring a stroller. I eyed each stroller covetously. I thought about approaching several parents. “Hey. I notice you have a little $10 umbrella stroller from Target. I have $82 in cash and a worthless Moby wrap I’d love to trade you for that.”
- I’d kill for a hot dog. Or any sort of food. Carrying 2 babies makes a pregnant girl hungry.
- Speaking of food, Sam is definitely going on a diet when we get home.