Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, February 19, 2010

Andie's birth story

Picture courtesy of Deanna Gemmer

Andie,
I think you started trying to make your arrival Sunday, February 7. I had some regular contractions and walked up and down our hallway to keep them going, but they eventually faded. Dad took Sam out to run amok so I could rest. That night, I had a dream we had a little girl and even told your Dad about it, but blew it off myself, so sure we were having a little boy.

Monday morning, I woke up feeling refreshed and energized. No more contractions, just a little bit of cramping. Later that morning, I talked to your Uncle Kevin and Noah, who were sending Sam a letter and a big brother present. I mentioned that I was having some spotting and Uncle Kevin (wise man that he is) thought maybe I'd lost my mucus plug and was going into labor. I felt way too good to be going into labor, but then I talked to Mom-friend, LeAnne, and she thought I should call my doctor.

The nurse thought I should get checked, so I went in at 1:45pm and they found out I was already 5cm dilated! I went to work to wrap a few loose ends and went home to labor for awhile. I called your Ninang (who jumped in the car with Noah and drove all the way to IF for your birth!), your Lala, and your Grandma to let them know you were on your way. At 3 or 4pm, I called your dad and told him he should come home from work because I was having more regular contractions and incredible nausea. Mom-friend LeAnne came up to get Sam from daycare.

We went to the hospital and walked around for awhile, but it took us a few hours to make any progress. We tried the birthing ball and breathing exercises for a few hours. After a few hours, they placed my epidural (which was wonderful!) and broke my water. I was having contractions, but not especially strong ones, so they also started Pitocin.

Laboring with you was a breeze compared to laboring with your brother. I still had nausea, rigors, and went through a whole bottle of TUMS because of heartburn, but for the most part, I was really comfortable and didn't have any back pain.

Dad kept everyone updated via the blog on our progress. Ninang and Noah arrived at the hospital around midnight.

You were posterior...just like your brother. Bummer. It was hard to get you out; you kept slipping back in between pushes and the doctor used a vaccuum to help you out. I touched your head at one point so I knew we were getting closer. The cord was wrapped around your neck, twice, so you had some hard times with the pushing and during some contractions. Noah helped by yelling, "Push, Ninang!" After a half hour of pushing, you arrived at 1:58am on Tuesday, February 9.

And then, he placed you on my belly. Your legs were folded up and no one said whether you were a girl or a boy, so I assumed you were a boy...until someone said "her". And then I started crying and saying over and over again, "It's a girl? It's a girl?". I was so surprised.

Even though your initial Apgar was only 6, Daydree (our nurse) knew it was important for me to hold you right away. So, I got to hold you and snuggle you for a little while. Then, they weighed you, cleaned you up, gave you oxygen and you perked up. Apgar was 9 at 5 minutes. And then I nursed you. You were so awake and alert. And looked just like Sam did as a newborn. You weighed 7lb 10 oz and 20 1/2 inches long (just about the same size as your brother). So beautiful, even with your cone head. I marveled at how your Dad and I were so blessed to have a second wonderful little baby.

We named you after your grandmas, both wonderful, strong women whom we hope you will take after: Natalie Doris. We call you "Andie" after your initials ("ND"), which is something I thought your brother could easily say (he can't, though). And, it turns out, Andy Kaufman was a famous comedian...something I did not know until the pediatrician informed me the morning after you were born.

Welcome to our family, sis. We're so glad you are here.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Leah said...

What a lovely story. I was wondering where Andie came from with Natalie and Doris! Love how you made it work! Hope your milk has come and that your family is doing well!

Loretta Poxleitner said...

I'm so happy for you that you had a little girl! She's just beautiful. I hope things are going well. Thanks for the update. Take good care of yourself! We love you!

thejorgensens said...

Makes me cry in joy to read Jen (or maybe it's the post-baby hormones) :)... congrats!!!