Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, March 29, 2010

the sleep deprivation diet

Miraculously, Andie is 6 weeks old and I am back to my pre-Andie weight. (Not my pre-Sam weight, but really, I'll probably never see those numbers again...unless I get pregnant and start the morning sickness diet, but let's not even go there).

How did I do it? Three words: sleep deprivation diet.

In the profound words of my husband: "Nothing tastes as good as sleep feels." Too true, too true.

The diet is simple, really.
1.Get yourself a newborn and the weight loss will take care of itself. The key, though, is to get a newborn who doesn't sleep. If you get a sleeper, it won't work. You find yourself making choices based on how they will affect your sleep. Do I get myself a snack or get 5 minutes extra sleep? Get up to pee or 2 minutes extra sleep? Shave my legs in the shower or 7 minutes extra sleep?

2. Andie can't tolerate dairy. This also helps. It takes quite a bit of energy to find nutritious sources of food that don't have dairy in them. We've tried soy yogurt, almond milk (yuck!), coconut milk ice "cream" (not bad), and goat's milk, goat cheese, goat yogurt; frankly, sipping black coffee at the table while I nurse the girl and feed the boy is easier than being creative about my own food choices.

3. Get a hungry baby...one who must nurse every 1-2 hours. Making milk is a great way to burn calories.

4. Get a colicky baby. You'll bounce her for 2 hours a night...great exercise.

5. Finally, throw a toddler in the mix. The toddler has to be super active...as in jumping-off-the top-of-the-piano active. Take him to the park every day and chase him up and down the slide 500 times...while wearing a 12lb newborn strapped to your chest.

Yep, that should do it. Eat your heart out, Heidi Klum.

11 comments:

Candace said...

the way hiedi klum stays pregnant, i think you've dscovered her secret!

Tiffiny said...

And here I was this morning, all proud of myself for weighing in at only 5lbs above my pre-preg weight just shy of 16 weeks post-partum. :P

Good job, although, I'll keep my 5lbs - for now! - for the 10 hours of solid sleep Ellie gets at night :)

MIKE said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview
.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

Leah said...

Amazing... not gonna lie... very jealous, but then I also have a sleeper so I wasn't privey to that diet.... good or bad.. I'm not sure. Regardless, still jealous :)

Jen said...

I'd rather have the sleep, too.

Amy said...

I didn't have sleepers and still am packing my baby weight.
My solution was to grab a cookie on my way to nap...maybe that's why it didn't work.

Rae said...

We just experienced our first 1-hour baby-crying session (a few breaks, but not many) last night...bouncing 2 hours every night? I can't imagine!

Hopefully one of these days our hungry babies will let their tired mamas have naps and then a phone chat!

Until then...good luck!

thejorgensens said...

Ahh, I'd feel bad for you if I weren't so jealous about the weight loss! :) JK!!!
Your kiddos are ADORABLE & it seems you're doing great with them despite the sleep deprivation! Keep it up... minus the no sleep thing.

The Chase Family said...

Just reading your post about the slide and toddler makes me feel exhausted! But then again, I think I wouldn't mind living RIGHT across the street from a cute park!

picinichml said...

you ALOMST sold me on that diet!

gucci-shoes-bags said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes