Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

hacked

Yesterday, I opened my hotmail to find a spam email sent from my other hotmail account. Yep, someone had hacked into my hotmail account...and sent off some scam email to everyone in my address book.

This is what happens when you use the same password for every account and don't change it for over ten years.

Also, my computer-science expert, Mr Tony Pehanich, mentioned that this might be an inherent security flaw in hotmail and suggested that I move to a gmail account like the rest of the 21st century. Blunt, but helpful. That's why I like that guy.

Thankfully, most people knew it was spam and weren't too upset. (Joe said, "Anyone who knows you would know you'd never send off something with so many typos.") Anyway, still, my apologies to all my contacts.

Now, I've changed my password with a new one for each account. It seemed like a wise choice.

But I can't remember what they are now.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I have the same password for everything. I recently read a tip to get an address book for storing your passwords. Maybe that'll help you?

Alison said...

I can't give up my hotmail account either. I got a gmail account a few years ago and I just don't like the layout. Seeing that I've had the same password for my hotmail account since I was 17, I'm sure my time will come to be hacked! Until then, I'll remain committed to my beloved hotmail!

馬旖 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................