Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, October 04, 2010

confessions of a slacker mom

Some people are smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes; others just have to make their own.

I guess I fall into the latter group.

In my sleep-deprived brilliance, I decided to give co-sleeping a try. Several smart parents I know have had success (and sleep!) with this approach. So, during naptime on Saturday, Joe put Sam down for a nap and I took Andie to bed with me.

Unfortunately, I finally got Andie to sleep and Sam started yelling from his crib. Afraid he would wake up my over-tired daughter, I stacked some pillows around Andie as a barricade, shut the door, and whisked Sam downstairs for some Diego time.

About the time Diego was rescuing his chinchilla or macaw or koala bear, I heard a crash...and then crying. Feeling sick to my stomach, I ran upstairs to find Andie on the floor at the foot of the bed. She cried for about 30 minutes straight and while I couldn't see anything wrong with her, she wouldn't nurse or be comforted with rocking, so I called Joe to come home. After she finally fell asleep for a much-needed nap, she was still crying off and on, so I took her to urgent care.

The PA at urgent care told me that she seemed okay but to come back on Sunday if she was still crying.

Sunday, Andie wouldn't stand on her left leg and cried whenever we tried to change her diaper. She didn't suck on her toes on her left leg or try to roll around. So, we headed in to her pediatrician's office that afternoon for a second opinion.

A few x-rays later we found the problem: a fractured femur.

Fractured femurs aren't common in 7 month olds. So...lots of xrays were taken to make sure nothing else was broken.

And, a CPS referral was started.

Both Mom and baby were in tears by the end of this process.

Fortunately, the radiologist thought my story fit with her xrays and the CPS worker felt further investigation was unnecessary.

We saw the orthopedist today who thinks she must have landed on her left knee, creating a "wrinkle or crease" in her femur. It's not a big break...not even really a true break...so he thinks she'll heal up in about 2 weeks without a cast or splint. He also told me he has 4 kids and things like this happen all the time..."but don't let her fall off a high surface again." Okay, okay. Point taken.

Lesson learned: No amount of sleep is worth this trauma.

So, today, I put my bad-sleepin' baby to nap in her crib...

...with a bottle.

(We'll fight that battle another day).

8 comments:

Loretta Poxleitner said...

Oh, Jen!! It sounds terribly stressful and overwhelming!! I'm so sorry you had to go through this. It makes for a good story, though......! Glad to hear you won't have to go through the hassle of putting a cast on her.

Kaelene Reel said...

Jen, I'm sooo sorry. Please don't beat yourself up over it. Accidents happen, coming from the parent of a child with two broken collar bones in one year. She will be up and moving around in no time. Prayers for fast healing.

Laura said...

I think you're a wonderful mom. Sorry this had to happy to you, but know you had the best of intentions.

Jeppesens said...

Jen that sounds like a wild weekend. Don't be hard on yourself. These things happen. It could have been a brain bleed and a helicopter ride to pcmc. Good lesson for the rest of us!

Becca said...

Oh Jen, that totally sucks. As my mom told me when Adrian fell off the couch onto his noggin, "these things happen." Yeah, sure they do, but they don't feel great when they do :) At least you know that she'll be happy as a clam soon, having forgotten all about it. And you're right; no sleep is worth that kind of stress!!

The Chase Family said...

You are an excellent mother! I have never known someone to be so sudious when it comes to learning about their babies, so protective and so loving a family as yours!!! When these things happen, as they do, you just have to breathe through the tears and clenched teeth and know they love you anyway. Ben rolled off the bed too once and I know that "sick to the stomach" feeling! I am sorry it happened to Andie and you. She will be back to giggling in no time I'm sure!!!

meinou said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this story. I hope Andie and you are doing fine.

Dick & Jackie said...

Shades of Dani, but at least you don't have to deal with the cast. Take heart--it too shall pass.
Jackie