Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Thursday, December 02, 2010

An Ill-Fated Date: The Phone Call

As we were driving out of town to Spokane, we stopped at Starbucks for a coffee. Two seconds later, the phone rang. I couldn’t understand the caller because there was a kid screaming in the background.

“Jen. You have to come back. Sam broke his arm. We are taking him to the hospital”.

No one drives faster than 2 parents on their way to the hospital. We beat Grandma and Papa Kaufman by a good 15 minutes. (Of course, we didn’t have to wrestle a traumatized 2 year old and his sister into the car either). When they got there, Sam had a magazine splint and some frozen peas wrapped around his right arm. Good thing Nurse Grandma was on the scene. We did leave a little trail of peas behind us wherever we went, though.

The x-rays confirmed what his lumpy arm already told us: a displaced Colles fracture. They gave us the number of the on-call orthopedist and sent us home. We stopped for ice cream because ice cream cures all ails. It can probably even cure cancer. And, it gave Joe a chance to reschedule his flight and cancel (*sniff*) our hotel room. Then, back to Lala’s house for bedtime.

A miserable six hours later, I realized my mistake. I hadn’t requested any pain medication for Sam. We’d been giving him Tylenol and Ibuprofen, but the kid was still miserable. I called the hospital, only to learn there were no 24 hour pharmacies in Lewiston or Clarkston. The nurse said he’d figure something out. A miserable FOUR hours later, he called me back and said there was some Tylenol with Codeine for Sam at the ED; I just had to come get it.

I went and got it. Came back. Sam was finally asleep. Of course.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh man. This is getting worse and worse. Of course, I'm dying to know how it happened.

The Chase Family said...

Yikes, didn't already break his arm? Is this the other one? I hope you guys get some sleep and Sam feels better way soon!

Dick & Jackie Driver said...

Poor Sam, and poor Jen. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Hope Sam feels better soon and you and Joe can get a real date even soon.
Jackie

Loretta Poxleitner said...

I'm sorry, Jen! What a sad story! Hope the pain is under control now. We await the next installment of the story..... but get some sleep, your posts are at crazy hours of the night!!

holli said...

I just read your blog, and my heart really goes out to you. I am the mother of four beautiful children, three girls and a boy, and I know what it is like to see your baby in pain, and there is nothing to do to fix it. As a parent, I want to protect them from everything, and it just about kills me when I can't. I found out a child brought a gun to the school my girls go to, and I thank God no one was hurt. The school did not handle the situation very well at all, and although many parents feel the same way, They are not willing to do anything about it, so I feel like I am fighting this battle alone. Reading your blog reminded me of the many parents who are out there who do care about their children, and are willing to do anything to help them through some really tough things. I know it make any since, but it is nice to hear about parents who are doing their job as parents. Keep up the good work, and on the days when things are at their worst, remind yourself of what a wounder parent you are