Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, March 21, 2011

just your average night

Amy was visiting this weekend and we got the Co-op Kids down for bed and looked forward to a relaxing evening ahead.

It was not to be had.

While Joe, Mom, and I cleaned up the chaos from the day's play, Amy laid down with her children in an effort to coax them to sleep.

9:30p, she texted Mom from the basement: "can you come save me from 2 naked babies?" Mom & Joe gathered up the Eddy kids (Kate & Glory were delightedly half naked and dancing around the living room) and we settled in for an episode of Backyardigans.

10pm: we sent them downstairs to sleep.
12:30a Doc got locked outside and was at my window, baying woefully.
2:00a Andie wakes up and is coaxed back to sleep with a bottle of milk. (Don't judge me).
Somewhere between 2:00a-4:00a, Amy wakes up to find Kate missing. She can't find her anywhere. After frantically searching the bedroom and the basement, she comes upstairs and finds Kate...peacefully sleeping between Moka and Schatzi.
4:00a Another bottle for Andie (again, don't judge).
6:00a Sam starts calling, "Mom! Mom! I'm awake!" In an effort to doze a little in my nursing chair, I send him out into the living room where Lala is sleeping on the couch, and tell him to turn on a movie.
6:05a Instead, he goes downstairs and starts shouting, "Dad? Dad! Where my friends? Where my friends?"
6:07a His "friends" (Kate, Glory, Noah, and their very tired mama) wake up and shuffle up the stairs.
Some nights are just too short.

5 comments:

Kaelene Reel said...

You make nights seems so exciting. Mine are nowhere near as action packed as yours. :) Hope you all recovered the next day.

Anne said...

I don't know about you Jen, but we'd trade with Kaelene any day out here. And we won't judge about the milk in the night if you don't judge us on it either. We gave up perfect parenting in lieu of sleeping better. Now the House of Miller has neither. :)

Jen said...

Kaelene, that's because your kids are grown up, right? Like in 4 years, I'm going to have boring nights where I sleep all night long, right? Right? :)

Anne...solidarity, sister! :)

Kaelene Reel said...

I have paid my dues to many sleepless nights and early mornings. I won't lie, I do enjoy an uninterupted nights worth of sleep but we still have those from time to time with the occasional flu bug or nightmare. It does get better, ladies, I promise. :)

Grumpy said...

Just so's ya's all know . . . perfect parenting doesn't happen until your kids are in their thirties . . . THEN you can look back and talk about all the perfect parenting that occurred when they were little tykes . . .