Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

the Sandman Chronicles: Binky Addiction

In yet another possibly futile effort to sleep through the night, we reintroduced the binky. I wasn't all that hopeful she'd take to the idea. In the past, whenever I desperately tried to pop a binky in her mouth, she'd get mad and try to smack that thing out of her face. In fact, I tossed all her binkies when we moved and had a surplus of useless baby gear. (Plus, the temptation proved to be too great to her cousin, Glory). But, after 6 months of ear infection and multiple night awakenings, we parents decided desperate times call for desperate measures.



So, I scrounged around and we found one lone binky that escaped being tossed.

She popped it in her mouth and loved it. Hasn't let go of it since. I thought, "This is great! So many fewer tantrums!"...until she lost it in the middle of the night and we didn't have a spare. THAT was a disaster.

We are now the proud owners of twenty-five binkies.


So, would I call introducing the binky a success? Does she sleep all night long, now that she can peacefully suck away on her binky?


No.


(C'mon. This is Andie we're talking about).


Now we just have one more addiction to wean her from.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck. We've replaced the binky with the index finger. Can't really take that one away

The Farmer's Wife said...

Ah, well....
my kids had "sassies" until they were two. I don't regret it. Maggie would suck on one and hold the other, when she slept!

I was of the mind that I'd rather have her sucking a sassie than her fingers, for the reason Amy said.

With Mags, the highway patrolman took it away from her (at our request) and told her she was a big girl and didn't need it. Angus just walked up to the garbage can with his old ragged sassie, proclaimed it "broked" and threw it away, never looking back.

I hope this works for you!