Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, July 23, 2011

confessions of a slacker mom: sprinkler toy

Now that I'm a part time stay-at-home mom, I'm loving my time with the kiddos. Loving it.




Except that post-nap crabby period. What in the world is it that makes that stretch from 2:30-5pm so unbearably long? Today, it was intensified by the fact that Sam is out-growing naps and I spent from 1:15-2:30p trying to coax him into sleeping.



Plus, we all have summer colds. Ick. There is nothing worse than a stuffy nose and being too hot...multiplied by three. I felt despair and panic...



...and then remembered my secret weapon: a new sprinkler toy.


I turned on the water full blast and we were all equally amazed and terrified at the crazy blasts of water shooting in all directions. Sam began giggling gleefully and then screamed, "Turn it off, Mom! Turn it OFF!"


Once the water was turned down, though, it was an amazing toy. We spent over an hour filling cups, jumping over the jets, washing bikes, and (unfortunately) drinking irrigation water. That dreaded post-nap period flew by.


Sam washing his bike; he's an industrious kid.


Andie, giving me the stink-eye, after I told her to stop drinking irrigation water...and then drinking it anyway.


The cogs, napping...as usual.


I sat in the shade and watched the fun (and blew my nose frequently). It was so chill. If only I had a pina colada...

3 comments:

Deanna said...

That last hour before dad gets home is the slowest hour of the day! And backyard water fun is the best. I can often bring my book out with me and get some reading in, my kiddos are so entertained.

Grumpy said...

Sprinkler toys are the BEST !!!!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Amen, sister! 2:30-5:30...I believe this is how Happy Hour got started. It had nothing to do with sport coats and appetizers; it was a bunch of housewives/mothers that finally snapped and mixed a cocktail in the late afternoon....

I love this post; love the water, Andie's stink eye face and perfectly round tummy, Sam hollering "Turn off the water, Mom!".

We'll take more of the same, please.
:)