Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Thursday, July 07, 2011

still not a fan of the Fourth

If you've been a reader for at least a year, you already know that the Fourth of July is far from my favorite holiday. This year, I tried to have a better attitude. We joined the Palouse Kaufmans at Pioneer Park for an old-fashioned Fourth of July celebration, including a kiddie parade, a fountain to play in, and tons of crafts and games (like a dunk tank and 3-legged races). It was a grand old time. We even made ice cream in a zip-lock bag.

Around 1pm, Andie was fussy and ready for her long-overdue nap. She crawled into my lap and went to sleep. She started to feel feverish, so I tracked down Joe for a second opinion. He thought she had a fever, too, so we rounded up Sam to head home.

We put Sam's wet clothes on Andie's carseat to cool things down a bit and strapped them both in. Andie looked ready to fall asleep and I was looking forward to a little nap at home myself.

About ten minutes from our house, I looked back and Andie was having a seizure.

After eight years of being a nurse, I've seen seizures and I know what I am supposed to do. Protect the seizing person. Protect the airway. Yada yada yada.

However, it's one thing when you're the nurse. It's a completely different thing when you're the mother. Add in a concerned 3 year old brother who kept saying, "What's wrong with Andie? I want out of my carseat, too!" over and over again...let's just say my sanity was hanging by a thread. Thank goodness for Joe and his calm, deliberate personality.

He turned around and drove us quickly to the hospital. About halfway there, Andie stopped breathing and I took her out of her carseat to open her airway. Forunately, just opening her airway pinked her up right away.

We spent the next few hours at the ER, where Andie was diagnosed with a febrile seizure. We saw her pediatrician the next day, who was very reassuring about the whole thing. Her temperature was only 101.4, but he thought that the seizure was caused by a rapid increase in her temperature, precipitated by being a hot car. Unfortunately, this means she could very well have another seizure again and we should treat every fever she has with tylenol or motrin, even if the fever isn't very high.

So, THIS Fourth of July has been my least favorite Fourth so far. There's nothing like having your baby have a seizure to really dampen that holiday spirit.

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Jen, this is insane! I can't believe this happened. So thankful for you that you have so much medical training, I think I would have been totally freaking out. Glad she is okay now!

lorettapox said...

So sorry to hear of your traumatic 4th of July event. Next year will be better. I'm sure.

ran shae said...

wow, how scary! poor little gal :(

Kaelene Reel said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. I pray that this is a one time situation, and won't happen again.

Laura said...

How Scary! So glad she's ok.

Rae said...

oh no! So scary, Jen. Glad that everything worked out okay for Andie.

Emma pooped dark red (after being fed beets earlier in the day) and I had several seconds of freaking out before I came to my senses.

It's waay, way different when its YOUR kiddo...instead of your patient.

Becca said...

I'm so glad she's okay - good grief, that sounds like it was terrifying.

meinou said...

That sounds very terrifying. Hope that everything is fine now
Meinou