Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

what happens in Vegas (part three)

After attending an engaging lecture on hepatitis C, LeAnne and I returned to the hotel to find Lauren taking a nap. It looked so amazing, I climbed into bed next to her and took a blissful nap myself.


We woke up later and got ready to go out. I'd been texting Lauren all week, whining about how frumpy my clothes were, so she brought a dress (SHORT dress!) and earrings for me to borrow. LeAnne, always the fashionista, brought an amazing black dress and let me borrow some heels. (Lauren vetoed the sensible pumps I'd brought for the conference with dismissive flick of her hand instantly).


And we were ready for a night on the town.


Our first stop was the blackjack tables at Harrah's. I'd played blackjack with my dad as a little girl, gambling with matches, but hadn't played for a long time, so I watched LeAnne and Lauren play. Lauren won some and lost some, but LeAnne just kept winning. A drink or two later, I was pretty sure I could handle this game.


About ten minutes in, I'd lost the entire fifty bucks I'd earmarked for gambling. Bummer. But, I had a great time watching Lauren and LeAnne play. Eventually, Lauren (a mechanical engineer...this will become important later) stopped winning and we watched LeAnne win some more. Intermittently, we would check out the scantily-clad dancing girls by the blackjack tables.


Lauren: Wow! What a great job. Think about how many calories they burn every night. Hhmm.

Me: I'm pretty sure being a mechanical engineer is a better job. I'm just sayin'...


Their dancing inspired us to engage in some dancing of our own, so we walked down to Chateau, where conference attendees got free cover and a free drink (we snagged an extra coupon for Lauren). On our walk there, I no longer felt frumpy. In fact, we received some uninvited male attention. Turns out "I'm a 30 year old mother of two from Idaho" is a pretty effective response to "Hey, baby, what's your name?".



We had fun dancing, but the club was getting crowded as it got later and I was turning into a pumpkin, despite my nap. We trekked back to our hotel down the strip and I've never been so glad to crawl back into my bed. Two nights ending at TWO A.M. is too much for this frumpy mom.


The next morning, Lauren was off to San Diego, LeAnne was off to Pocatello, and I was on my way home to my family. A week is a long time to be away!

2 comments:

aunt tance said...

all 3 of you look so fabulously beautiful!! love you :)

Urine said...

AHh I miss Vegas already :) I had so much fun with you Jeffer..you got so many compliments in my dress.