Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, July 04, 2011

what happens in Vegas (part two)

My 20-something cousin Lauren drove over from San Diego after she got off work on Friday. She is young and is not awakened constantly through the night by a crying baby, so these late night drives are nothing to her. In fact, I told her to text me when she got to the hotel lobby, but fell asleep waiting for her text. Finally, she woke me up with a jarring phone call.

Me: Oh, sorry. I fell asleep.
Lauren: I thought so. (sigh). Come down and get me.

I sleepily rode downstairs in an elevator full of glitzed up girls (I myself was wearing zero make-up, flip-flops, and an old sweater and running shorts. Put another check in the frumpy column). Everyone was just starting to go out, but it was WAAY past my bedtime. It was, like, midnight or even later.

Lauren took one look at me and said, "Um, we're going out tonight, aren't we?"

I begged her to let me go to bed, telling her it would be just like when we were younger and all used to sleep in the same bed at my Lola's house. She relented and got ready for bed. All the while, we caught up on the latest goings on our lives (since Lauren lives ALL THE WAY in San Diego--it's like living on another planet--I don't get to see her as often as I'd like. I last saw her at Christmas!).

Eventually, I looked at the clock and realized it was WAAAY past my bedtime, like two A.M.!! But, Lauren was clueless. She just kept talking and talking and talking. I was starting to doze off in between sentences. Finally, I said, "Uh, Lauren, do you need an Ambien or something?"

Lauren: No. No! You don't have to drug me to get me shut up. Just tell me you want to go to sleep. Jeez!
Me: I want to go to sleep, Lauren.
Lauren: Oh, fine.

Finally, finally, I got to go to sleep. And, it's a good thing I rested well...because Lauren INSISTED on going out the following night.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Team Eddy said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear the rest.

Amy

Anonymous said...

well.. don't keep us too long in suspense! I want to know how the other half of the world plays after midnight!