Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, August 26, 2011

Seattle saga (part one)

As I mentioned before, we recently returned from a trip to Seattle to celebrate my great-aunt's (aka Sister Maria Lourdes, aka Auntie Choly, aka Holy Choly) jubilee. Since I now live the luxury life of a part-time working mama, I decided to brave a roadtrip with the two kiddos from Lewiston to Bremerton, to spend an extra day with the Gemmer family. Joe--poor working shmuck--would drive over with Mom and Friend Dan--other poor working shmucks--on Friday afternoon.

I didn't want to drive after work on Wednesday because, well, I'm typically sleep deprived and didn't want to ended up dozing off at a freeway rest stop with my two precious children. So, I googled "road trips with toddlers" and came across an article that recommended leaving very, very early in the morning. I warned Sam & Andie that we'd be getting up "in the middle of the night" and getting into the car, where they'd (presumably) sleep until their normal awakening time. I'd have several hours of nonstop peaceful driving, we'd breakfast in Ellensburg, run around and hop back in the car to be in Bremerton by noon.

The next morning, we were in the car by 5am. I sensed my plan wasn't working when Sam popped his eyes open and said, "We going in the car, Mom?". I shushed him, snuggled his blankie around him, buckled him in and said, "Yes, go to sleep."

We'd barely gone a block and the kid was so excited, he couldn't stop pointing out the neighborhood sights: "Look! A tree! Look! A house! We're going to Daisy's house! Look! A bird!"

Needless to say, no one slept on the way to Ellensburg. In fact, no one slept the entire drive.

All was well, though. They were perfect gems. We even managed to amuse ourselves with books and toys and songs for a good three hours before I finally succumbed to the DVD player, so I could read directions and drive in traffic without belting "Itsy Bitsy Spider" at the top of my lungs.

A short seven hours later, we were there.

And so begins our Seattle saga...stay tuned.

No comments: