Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Thursday, September 15, 2011

and that's the news from Casa Kaufman

It's been a chaotic week at Casa Kaufman.
  • Despite many attempts to fix my blog layout (including uploading a different version of blogger, changing margins, etc.), I have not made any progress. One help article said that my center column must have a long link or too wide of a picture, causing my to shift to the bottom of my blog, but I couldn't find any post that exceeded the margins. No luck there, so I'm back to blogging and hoping that the problem will fix itself as suddenly as it appeared.
  • On the bright side, I'm blogging (with a delicious glass of Terra Blanca merlot) on my new Toshiba laptop. My bargain-hunting husband scored a screamin' deal, finding me (and my mom) a new laptop for the low, low price of $284 (including shipping). He's amazing...and so is my new laptop. I'm in love with its big screen, functioning keys, and ability to complete multiple tasks without freezing.
  • I'm back at work 4 days a week and found that I've become quite accustomed to a 3 day work week and adamantly want it back. Meanwhile, my house is a mess, we're eating take and bake pizza for dinner, and I've run out of clean clothes. I'm lacking the discipline and ambition to keep up on work, home, and parenting that I used to have, so I've settled for trying to be a good mom and a decent employee and a pretty huge slob.
  • Joe's been losing a freakish amount of weight. At first, I took pride in this fact, thinking it was due to my healthful meal planning and increasing proportion of plant-based meals in our diet. But, I'm not losing weight (in spite of working out twice as often as Joe) and this week, came to the realization that Joe is losing weight because he has to meet several deadlines at work and has opted to cope with this busy-ness by only eating lunch once a week. I don't know about you, but forgoing lunch is not an option for me. I'd rather forfeit going to the bathroom all day than skip a meal (but if you've known me for any significant amount of time, you know I'm pretty dedicated to my groceries). So, we bought Joe some skinnier pants and I'm sending him a daily text message: "Eat lunch. Every day. Don't forget."
  • Andie is back to her bad sleepin' ways. We caught a long-running cold from Team Eddy and have been doing all we can to survive it. She's back to two bottles a night. Man. Our nights with a 19-month old don't look all that much different than our nights with a 9-month old. In the daytime, though, she has been a happy, happy girl who is keeping us entertained with a variety of new phrases, exclamations, and dance moves.
  • Sam has started soccer. The kid needs a daily dose of running to function (otherwise, he's bouncing off the walls) and we figured that running with a pack of rowdy 3 and 4 year olds a couple of times a week would be a good way to accomplish that. HE. LOVES. IT.
  • On a more serious note, my Papa (grandpa) has been having some health issues, which has been a struggle for all of us. My grandma has born the brunt of caring for him, but he's been progressively weaker and more confused, so Joe has needed to help more often. This week, he's in the hospital and we're all waiting to see if any progress can be made. If you're the praying sort, please keep him in your prayers.
And that's the news from Casa Kaufman, where the dad skips lunch, the mom skips laundry, and the children are above average.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Will definitely keep your papa in my prayers!

The Farmer's Wife said...

I really have missed your day-to-day updates!

Your story of Joe reminds me about my husband who was weighing himself daily at his mom's house (I know..weird) and getting terribly worried that his weight kept dropping, despite his clothes fitting the same. He thought of all sorts of awful diseases and was about to make an appointment to see what the trouble was, when his mom changed the battery in her scale. Yeah. The funniest part was that SHE'D been eating like a horse, thrilled that her weight didn't seem to be going up! After the battery change, there were some issues...

Sending hugs your way and if I can locate the Laundry Fairy, her, too!