Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, September 17, 2011

soccer

The rules of soccer are very simple; basically, it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does. " --Phil Woosman


So, Sam started playing soccer a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure that I really wanted to start organized sports at such a young age, but he seemed pretty excited about it. His best friend, Kenzie from daycare, was going, too, and the two of them love to get into trouble together play together, so we gave it a shot.

Sam's an exuberant, live-life-to-the-fullest, bounce-off-the-walls-with-excitement kind of kid. Most mornings, he sits on the couch with his chocolate milk in hand, bouncing excitedly when he hears I'll let him watch Scooby Doo while I get dressed. Even the seemingly mundane activities like going to the grocery store are met with excitement if he gets to ride in a TRUCK CART!!! So, to say that Sam was extraordinarily excited about soccer really should make an impression.

During his first practice, I texted Amy: "I've never seen Sam so excited about anything in his life. His smile is so big right now, it makes me want to cry a little."
Sam runs with an enthusiasm unmatched by most of the other three and four year olds. He loves to run with the big kids, too, and gets right in there to fight for the ball. He's scored two goals and pretty much smiles and sweats the entire hour and fifteen minutes of soccer practice.
Note his soccer garb. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Tita, who is a big time hoarder, for being a hoarder and saving me $40 by keeping my 26 year old sisin Lauren's soccer shoes all this time. Yep, Sam's wearing her original soccer cleats. Thanks to Team Eddy for donating the shin guards that Noah used last year. My total fee for this season of fun was $25 for registration and $2.48 for some clearance soccer shorts at Macy's.

No comments: