Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, October 15, 2011

confessions of a slacker mom: grocery shopping


Rules for surviving grocery shopping:
  • Come prepared. Create a list the night before. Put grocery bags in the car the night before. Warn children the night before that the next day will require a trip to the grocery store.
  • If your schedule allows, shop during the early morning hours to avoid excessive waiting. If your schedule does not allow for this, I recommend bringing two parents.
  • Tire children out beforehand by going to the park first.
  • Only shop at stores that provide truck carts.
  • Review the rules for grocery shopping with the children while still safely buckled in the car
.1)We only buy what is on the list. 2)We stay in the truck cart at all times. 3) If we do a good job sticking to rules 1 & 2, we can get a special treat at the end of the trip.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Here's my new rules:
1) Go when Daisy is in preschool or go to Fred Meyer where Daisy enjoys the childcare. I'm not sure you have these options in your lovely town.
2) Safeway gives out free cookies to well behaved children only.
3) Organize my list by aisles so that I am most efficient. This means I can only shop at the stores I know the layout of!
4) Enjoy the service of the bagger who loads my groceries into the car AND returns the giant cart to the store!