Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

confessions of a slacker mom

I recently read Growing Strong Daughters. In it, McMinn talks the way our children mimic us in play, likening the way they strive to be like us as the way we strive to be like Christ.

Stop. Let that sink in a minute.

Talk about pressure.

Unforunately, my children's mother has a lot of work to do when it comes to being Christ-like. So, instead of seeing my children reflect holy behaviors, I see them reflect all of my imperfections.

Last week, Joe had to work late every. single. night. I picked up kids, took them to soccer, got them home and fed them dinner by myself after working an especially challenging week. It was getting late. I was exhausted and starving and Andie would not come in the front door.

Me: Andie, it's time to come inside. I need you to come to me now.
Andie doesn't move. She smiles her sassy little grin and takes a step further away.
Me: (deep breath). Andie, I'm counting to three. One. Two--
Sam: Andie! Come inside now! NOW! You better come inside or I'm gonna leave ya! Andie! Come inside or you can't watch a movie! One-two-three-four-[always forgets five]-six-seven-eight-nine-ten! Hustle your muscle*!

If that weren't bad enough, before I can do anything else, Sam changes parenting tacts.
Sam: (cooing voice) Andie, do you want to come inside with me? I have a candy for ya. I have caaan-dy!

Really. I must do better.

*I actually say, "Hustle your bustle", which is what a skating coach used to say to me in my younger days, but I think I may adopt Sam's "Hustle your muscle"...it's catchier.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Ah man, I hate it when our kids show us our awesome parenting moves so clearly.

Sorry you had a rough week...