Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, October 07, 2011

the Sandman Chronicles: Things that go bump in the night

Sleep has hit an all new low at our house.

Andie has been getting up 3 to 4 times a night, crying and yelling for a bottle. All this crying and yelling got so chaotically loud that it woke up Sam, which just added another dimension of wakefulness during a time when we should all be dead asleep. In my sleep-deprived state, it took me about a week of this to realize this meant she had yet another ear infection.

Of course, I realized Andie had another ear infection on a Friday afternoon, when her pediatrician was booked up until Monday. Not wanting to chance a weekend with absolutely NO sleep, I took a peek in her ears and saw pepperoni-red ear drums. Now, I'm no expert, but even this gastroenterology NP could tell they were infected. A round of Augmentin later, she's no longer pulling at her ears.

But, this being her 10th or so ear infection this year, we came to a difficult decision: it's officially time to wean her off the bottle. (Yes, I know she was supposed to be weaned a mere 8 months ago. You stop sleeping through the night for 20 months and see how well you follow the American Academy of Pediatric guidelines, ok?).

Of course, this means that she's still not sleeping at night. She's spending two to three hours screaming for a bottle. Joe and I take turns going in, rocking her and giving her the binky, all night long.

We are t.i.r.e.d.

Last night, I heard her crying and jumped out of bed to check on her. Somehow, in my sleep-deprived state, I walked straight into the closed bedroom door. The loud crash shook Joe from his sleep. My nose is still sore this morning.

Here's hoping to a better night's sleep sometime in the near future.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh man, I feel for you guys. Hoping and praying you get more sleep soon!!!!