Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

and that's the news from Casa Kaufman

It's been a chaotic week at Casa Kaufman:
  • We're recovering from overeating at Thanksgiving. I will attempt to post pictures soon, but who knows when I will get the time. We started our OverEatFest with the Kaufmans on Thursday, continued eating on Friday with the Altmillers, and then leftovers Saturday and Sunday. I joined a "Maintain, Don't Gain" over the holidays contest at my gym and am already losing. Oh, well.
  • Thursday evening, I boarded a flight to Seattle to meet up with Deanna for a whirlwind trip of shopping. About a year ago, I bought a pair of new J Crew khakis at a Jackson Hole thrift shop for five bucks and have been anxious to hit some major thrift store shopping since then. We shopped for eight hours straight on Friday and then a few hours on Saturday before she dropped me off at the airport. We hit 4 Goodwills and 4 consignment stores and at the end of the experience, I swear my abs were sore from all the bending over to try on clothes. I think I'll be making this an annual trip, especially for the kiddos. There are some crazy kids' consigment stores in Marysville where we got a screamin' deal on shoes.
  • After seeing all the Christmas lights in our neighborhood (if you haven't heard ND say Christmas lights yet, you must. It's the cutest thing ever.), Sam's been wondering when Christmas was going to come to our house. So, this weekend, we got a Christmas tree from the All Saints' school sale and we decorated it last night. I never appreciated the fine motor coordination that goes into hanging ornaments on branches until ND tried to do it. Maybe next year, baby girl.
  • I've found a new running buddy, who runs a slow pace like me, but has better endurance, so she's been pushing me and I've been running farther than I did on my own. I'm typically running 2-3 miles twice a week and getting in a 5mile run once a week at a 10:45 pace. Not breaking any speed records, but I'm amazed that I'm actually running!
  • Joe got a mule deer. He had a great time hunting with his dad and brothers, but the early mornings were a killer for all of us. ND seems to sense when her dad is leaving, so she was waking up (and waking me up!) at 4am those mornings. I'm glad I have another year until deer season hits again.
And that's the news from Casa Kaufman, where the mom unwraps Christmas lights, the dad hangs Christmas lights and the above-average kids love Christmas lights.

2 comments:

Anne said...

What happened to your first running partner?!

Jen said...

I guess that sounds kind of suspicious, huh? :) My old running partner was left behind in Idaho Falls, but she was too fast for me anyway.