Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Sunday, December 18, 2011

confessions of a slacker mom: setting up the Christmas tree

Here's my confession: we've never had a Christmas tree in our post-kid/dog life.

It's not that I'm a scrooge. In fact, I love Christmas. Growing up, I loved decorating our tree with my sister, unwrapping each ornament and reminiscing. I love my Christmas ornaments with a nostalgic fierceness and didn't want to have to murder a dog or child should they happen to break one. So, we decided to forgo a Christmas tree of our own for the last 5 years.

This year, though, Sam kept asking when our Christmas tree would get here. So, a few weeks ago, we picked out a tree and set it up. Then, a few nights later when Joe had to work late, the kids and I decorated the tree.

I made my peace with the fact that kids (duh) would want to touch every. single. ornament. About one hundred times. Take them off the tree. Put them back on. Hide them in the couch. Stick them down their pants. (I am not even joking and you know it).

So, we used plastic-dollar store ornaments and garlands to decorate our tree. Problem solved. My precious ornaments from my own childhood are safely packed away for a time far, far from now when my children will not eat, break, or bury them and our little Christmas tree was cheerfully decorated. I unpacked our new ornaments and Sam, ND, and I oohed-and-aahed over each plastic animals, making animal sounds and holding lengthy discussions over where exactly each ornament should go. (Mainly on the front lower branches, in case you were wondering).

Joe got home in time to see the finished project.

Actually, this might be my favorite Christmas tree yet.

3 comments:

Grumpy said...

It is an odd balance we strive to achieve with our children . . . sharing family traditions Vs. the fragile items that are a significant part of those traditions . . . Great compromise with the new "more sturdy" ornaments this year.
And as the kids get older, you can begin sharing the more delicate items . . . maybe . . .
We put our "breakables" at the highest parts of the tree, which always worked great . . . . except for the year the tree fell over . . .

Amy said...

We just keep superglue on the mantle for the umpteenth time some little hands break one of our ornaments.

The Farmer's Wife said...

It's a gorgeous tree! And I know exactly what you're saying about having a hard time with the ornament manipulation. I'm glad you put one up; it's important to be able to have it glowing there in the background of your life and pictures.