Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, January 14, 2012

the Sandman Chronicles: It Ain't Over Yet

After a month of blissfully sleeping through the night, ND has gone back to her bad sleepin' ways. Most of it has not been too bad--consistently waking up once or twice every night for the last two weeks. Last night, though, may have set the record for Most Horrendous Night Ever.

I woke up at 12:12am to ND fussing. I went in, tucked her in, and popped in a binky. After repeating this sequence twice in the next hour, I should have realized something was up. It was Friday the 13th.

All night, Joe and I took turns checking on our bad sleepin' baby. We rocked her. We checked her temperature. We checked her diaper. We checked her pajamas. We changed out blankets. Finally, we both gave up since we couldn't identify any problem and decided she'd have to work out her issues on her own.

I scooped up a sleeping Sam and put him in our bed, hoping he wouldn't be awakened by all of ND's screaming. Unfortunately, Sam woke up in transit and was adamant he didn't want to sleep in our bed, although I told him ND was being so loud, it was hard for any of us to sleep. Nevertheless, he insisted on going back to his own bed and ND settled down a little.

It was 4am and finally quiet for the first time in hours.

I was just dozing off when Sam tiptoed into our room. He whispered excitedly, "Mom! Her is finally quiet now! We can all sleep!"

Thanks for the update, Sam.

Unfortunately, ND did not remain quiet. After another hour of shushing, rocking, and shuffling beds, Sam, Joe and I lay awake in our bed, listening to ND scream uncontrollably--she was so angry about being the only one left behind in her room. Knowing she was entering soon-to-throw-up-because-she's-crying-so-hard territory, I went back to her room and picked her up.

Her chubby little arms circled my neck and she rested her head on my shoulder, still gulping down sobs. I patted her back and said, "ND-girl. Why are you not sleeping tonight?"

She gulped back another sob and said what I already should have known, "Just (gulp) 'cause."

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just reading your post makes me tired.

Rae said...

oh man, poor kaufman family! poor ND! hopefully this is a not-to=be repeated episodes.