Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

I know Lent is a time of fasting, prayer and almsgiving. I'm just not very good at it. But, every year I take a stab at it.

My Lenten project this year is to fast from consumerism. (Doesn't that sound very Occupy Lent?)

I love to shop and love getting a deal. It's a great pick-me-up. Tough mornings with cranky kids? Solved with a trip to Starbucks. Hard work week? Worth a pair of new shoes from Macy's. Bored on a Saturday? How about a trip to Ross!!

I need to get over this mind set.

I was inspired by my grad school classmate, Jenny's, blog. She's planning not to buy anything new, only used, for the next year. So, here's my Lenten plan:

I'm not going to buy anything EXCEPT groceries, gas, and, of course, our bills (like our phone bill, house closing costs, and those preexisting committments) for the next 40 days.

No spending for entertainment. No eating out. No new shoes. No new toys for kiddos. No extras as pick-me-ups, rewards, survival tools. Just me and God--gettin' through the day.

We'll keep you posted.

What are you doing for Lent?

2 comments:

The Chase Family said...

Great one! I decided to put away my sultry romance novels and read more spiritual stuff....one of these days I WILL get through that Baltimore Catechism!!! And, a true lenten fast! No snacks, just small meals and only allowed water and tea...with no sugar or cream ofcourse. It may sound hard, but Easter feels so much more rewarding when you really try to go through Calvary and end up at the foot of the Cross!

lorettapox said...

Wow! Good idea! I need to do something more than just give up chocolate. (Although that's really hard for me, too!!)