Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fancy Nancy tea party

Sam's friend, Kenzie, turned 4 this weekend and celebrated her big day with a Fancy Nancy birthday party. Nancy is a little girl who loves dressing up and fancy things, so we were invited to attend a birthday "soiree" in our most "fabulous ensemble."

I wasn't really sure that Sam had a "fabulous ensemble" but RSVP'd for this fancy lemonade-tea party anyway. Saturday morning we scoured our closets and Sam carefully selected his ensemble: cowboy boots, camo pants, camo sweatshirt, camo hat. He was so proud of his outfit. "I look handsome, Mom!"


 ND, on the other hand, has lots of fabulous ensembles to wear, but was admant she was not going to wear a dress. She slected pink pants, a pink shirt, her tutu Aunt Mandi made her and a matching hair bow. The final accessory: sequined Dora sandals.

She looked "pretty, pretty", too.

As we were getting out of the car, I coached Sam on his manners. We'd been practicing saying "Happy Birthday!" and "Thanks for having us over."

Me: It's Kenzie's birthday party. What are you going to say to her when you see her?
Sam: Um. I don't know.
Me: Remember? We practiced. What are you going to tell Kenzie?
Sam (smiling): I'll tell her, 'I look handsome!'

(After I stopped laughing, I reminded him about nice manners again. He actually said, "Happy Birthday, Kenzie. You look pretty.")

2 comments:

Rae said...

What a card that Sam is!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Well, he DOES look handsome!