Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, March 09, 2012

off in Lala-land

We've been talking about bad dreams at our house a lot lately (although Sam insists they are called "naughty" dreams). Sam's been getting out of bed, worried he'll have a naughty dream if he falls asleep, or coming into our room in the middle of the night because he just had a naughty dream.
Lala: You girls never had bad dreams like that.

Me: Oh, yes, I did.

Lala: I don't remember that.

Me: Mom! All the time! And it was probably your fault, too. You used to save all your cautionary tales for bedtime stories.

Lala: What do you mean?

Me: You'd tuck us into bed, kiss us good night and say,  'Don't get married until after you finish college. If a stranger ever tries to grab you, run away screaming. Don't ever get into a car with a stranger. Don't do drugs or you'll end up living under a bridge without a bed to sleep in. Ok, now sleep tight.' Then you'd leave and I'd lie awake, petrified of all the bad things that could possibly happen to me.

Lala: Well...those are important things to know.

4 comments:

ChristinaLynn said...

My mom did the same thing!!! I don't remember them being strictly bedtime stories, but she would tell us cautionary tales all the time! Like when (not if) we found ourselves inside a stranger's trunk to kick out the taillight and wave our feet so other drivers would know we were there. Must be hard to have daughters....

Anonymous said...

Well those ARE important things to know!!! Your mom & I have a LOT in common!
Cynthia

Liz said...

I want to know how I have no recall of the taillight story. I always had nightmares about canals because of mom's canal cautionary tale.

Jen said...

I love that getting married before college and getting into a car wiht a stranger carry the same weight.