Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

and that's the news from Casa Kaufman

It's been an especially chaotic past two weeks at Casa Kaufman:
  • Joe left for Africa for his safari. I got a 2 line email from his personal hunter's Blackberry last Friday that said he'd arrived and was having fun. Oh, and that Phil was fine, too. Since then, radio silence...
  • I know I've been slacking off on the blogging, but read on and I know you'll forgive me.
  • I've been a single parent (with the help of my mom and Mom Kaufman), which I'd hoped meant a life of sitting back and eating bon bons whilst the children play quietly among themselves. Unfortuantely, this vision has not occurred.
  • After a significant number of sleepless nights, I realized ND had yet ANOTHER ear infection. Three days into a course of Omnicef, she is a happier camper and I'm starting to catch up on some rest.
  • During one of these sleepless nights, I started to feel overwhelmed about the thought of moving into our new house when Joe gets back. I'm tired. He's going to be tired. Then, I have to go to Idaho Falls for a meeting as soon as he gets back. So, I decided to bite the bullet and hire some movers. Joe is going to kiss my feet when he realizes he doesn't have to move my piano yet AGAIN.
  • Since then, I've been packing like crazy...while Sam and ND keep UN-packing the stuff in boxes. "Look, Mom! Here's that random car I haven't played with or cared about in 18 months, but now I'm going to throw a tantrum if you pack it away in that box that I won't be able to open for 3 days!". I know. Sometimes, I can have ridiculous expectations.
  • And, my running buddies and I are running a 10 K trail run on Sunday. Mom K watched Sam and ND so I could run 10K last Saturday and, well, I haven't really run at all since then.
  • To top it all off, we have a significant change in our current childcare situation and I've been trying to figure out what the best plan for our kiddos is. So, until then, Amy and the girls are going to stay with us in our new big house for the month of May...since she's on maternity leave and basically just eats bon bons all day anyway.
  • And, did I mention: Joe's on safari!
The end of these crazy two weeks is almost in sight. It's not been TOO bad. We've only eaten at McDonald's one time and we haven't run out of clean underwear yet (although most of it, as of 9:58pm today, is in boxes). Keep us in your prayers; we need all the help we can get.

And that's the news from Casa Kaufman where the dad is on safari, the mom is on a mission, and the kiddos are above average.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Does your post mean that I won't be eating bon bons all day whilst watching the children?

Hmm...I may have to rescind my offer. :)

Rae said...

hang in there, Jen! You have childcare drama too? Does this mean you're ready to be a SAHM?

How fortunate to be able to spend some extra time with Amy and have her help with your kiddos! (how in the heck does she manage all that?)

best of luck with the move--i think your hiring idea was pure genuis!