Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, July 20, 2012

the 1st trimester is about as fun as a poke in the eye with sharp stick...

...or a feeding tube up your nose.

After getting IV fluids a few times this week and not really making any headway, I had a small NG tube inserted yesterday. The plan was that I'd learn how to insert it myself and be able to take it out as I pleased, but it turns out I don't have the kind of willpower to do that to my own body. So a very nice nurse inserted it and it's just going to stay in my nose for awhile.

The theory is that I've been literally starving, which perpetuates the nausea and vomiting cycle, which causes--duh--more starving. If I can avoid actually eating food (and not activate my nausea center), but get fed, hopefully I can break the cycle.

We're going to try this for 3 days and then see if I can go back to real food.

I'm hopeful. I haven't vomited once since I got the tube in. And yesterday I kept in almost 800 calories.

Keep us in your prayers. I'm hoping we're turning a corner.

And please, please remind me of this post if years from now I start talking about wanting another baby again.

Maybe just poke me in the eye with a sharp stick.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Sharp stick ready and waiting. :)

Hope you have really turned the corner, lovie.

ran shae said...

Oh my gosh you poor thing! Praying the tube does the trick and you feel better soon!

lorettapox said...

Wow. I don't think I would've been tough enough to have three kids if I'd suffered in ANY way. God bless you. Hang in there.

Gus and Jen said...

Praying for you to feel better!

mandy said...

Pulling for you, Jen! I hope the tube does the trick and you feel better soon.

Rae said...

I was relieved to see your FB post, friend! hope each day has been better than the last.