Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Nuts

Several weeks ago, Teenie and I embarked on a canning adventure. We quickly learned that it was impossible to do with children underfoot, so we decided that for Round Two, we'd send the kids out with their dads. Grandma K was entirely supportive and came up with the idea of having the kids pick up walnuts out at Joe's grandparents' old place, which was a productive way to tire out little bodies.

Canning was much more labor-intensive than I'd thought it would be. It took a LONG time, I got a blister from peeling so many teeny tiny apples and pears, and I had to stop frequently to eat (my fetus is VERY hungry all the time), so when we finally finished, the last thing I wanted to do was deal with the walnuts.

But, I've finally recovered and so, today, on my afternoon off, we decided to make banana bread with walnuts and chocolate chips (and some organic whole wheat flour that Steve and Teenie got us from their recent ag tour around the LC Valley). ND picked out the nuts and we all attempted to crack them open.

I realized I didn't actually have a nutcracker, so we used crab-claw crackers instead, which worked...some of the time. Sam and ND cheered me on. When I finally got the first nut to crack, I yelled, "Jackpot!". Sam and ND are often puzzled by idioms, so I tried to explain it and went on cracking nuts.

After a few "tough nuts to crack", I finally cracked open another one. When we all heard that sweet cracking sound, Sam yelled at the top of his lungs, "JACK-O-LANTERN!"

Close enough. Spending time with small children can be so amusing.

And our banana bread is delicious!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Jack-o-lantern; jackpot....what's the difference?

I am impressed by your "Martha Stewart"ness.

Grammy said...

Get a food mill to save time on the applesauce. You can cut the apples in half, cook them in a big pot to get mushy, then grind them up in the food mill. Then I add spices and sugar before putting it in canning jars. I gave up on pears years ago because I couldn't find any way out of peeling them!

Leah said...

Look at you with all your canning! I wish we could have done pears this year but the harvest here was not so great! It does take a lot of time but in the end it's worth it!! We just opened up our first jar of peaches... TASTY!