Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, December 10, 2012

and that's the news from Casa Kaufman

It's been a chaotic couple of weeks at Casa Kaufman...
  • I'm 31 weeks pregnant and you regular readers know what that means: I'm large, grouchy and lazy. My legs are restless. Lampie is riding so low that I feel like my pelvis is splitting in half. I have to pee every 10 seconds. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. If you are contemplating pregnancy, don't. The honeymoon is over. The novelty of being kicked in both my ribs and pelvis simultaneously is wearing off. Sigh. And, a newfound misery that I hadn't yet experienced with either of my other babies: I faint all the time. So, if you come across me curled up on the floor, just cover me with a blanket. I'll come to soon enough.
  • We're getting ready for Lampie's arrival in 9 or so weeks. We've moved ND into the "Big Kid" room. She's now sleeping on the bottom bunk and Sam's sleeping on the top bunk. All of her clothes are in the Big Kid closet and we painted up Uncle Steve's hand-me-down dresser to put in Sam's room. It's a dazzling combination of purple with pink knobs (color combination selected by Miss Natalie Doris herself).
  • Other baby preparations have included...weaning ND off the binky in the daytime. The dentist said we'd have to do it by her third birthday, but when I mentioned we'd be having a baby ON her third birthday, we decided to just bite the bullet and do it now. We've been very proud of her. It's been a struggle, but she's done fairly well. She can still have it when she sleeps, which seems to offer some solace to the poor kid.
  • Sam is growing like crazy. He's the size of a 6 year old and the dentist also noted his mouth is like a 6 year olds, too--including 2 loose teeth! Crazy. He's loving preschool and all his teachers, which is such a blessing after having a difficult experience at our old preschool. He's loving tumbling and can really focus and pay attention to his coaches in a way that always amazes me. (Could he focus like that when I'm telling him to put away his coat? Probably not...).
  • We celebrated Joe's birthday this week and will have pictures to post before too long. He's reached the ripe old age of 32 and is wearing it well. He went elk hunting with Papa K and his brothers, but had came home empty handed. They had a great time and I think this elk hunting trip might become an annual tradition.
  • I just got back from a conference in Laguna Beach. The conference was pretty good, but I missed half of it because--guess what--I fainted. My sisin Lauren drove up from San Diego and we had a lazy time, eating, watching TV and painting our fingernails, which was exactly my speed.
  • I've been really, really hesitant to post this in any sort of public forum because I didn't want to jinx it, but it's been a good month now, so here goes nothing: ND Kaufman is SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! Since she moved to a big girl bed, she's been sleeping until about 530 or 6am most days and then shuffling into our room to wake us up in the morning. It is such a long awaited blessing!!
And that's the news from Casa Kaufman where the mom is large and crabby, the dad is skinny and patient, and the children are above average.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hang in there, Jen! You are a super mom.

Rae said...

sleeping thru the nite is such an awesome feeling! (and well deserved in your case!)

bummer about the fainting... :(