Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Friday, December 14, 2012

Confessions of a Slacker Mom: Christmas Decorations

Joe left for elk hunting camp the morning after the Festival of Trees. He left early, early in the morning to meet his brothers and Dad and was going to be gone (gasp!) overnight, leaving this large, lazy Mama at home with her two active children for 48 hours. I started to panic a bit but quickly came up with the plan that we would wile away the hours by decorating our house for Christmas.
 
First stop, church. Second stop, Walmart for some kid friendly decorations and a star tree-topper. (We had an angel tree topper, but Sam said it just would NOT do).
 
I'm a big believer in rolling over and letting the kids do whatever they want picking your battles, so I basically let Sam and ND pick out whatever they wanted. ND's prize pick was some glitzy purple tinsel that looked like it belonged in a Vegas sideshow while Sam picked out some cowboy ornaments. We got a new Christmas tree stand, lights, a tree topper and then it was off to Costco to finish our shopping and have lunch with Lala. I conveniently forgot my cash, so Lala treated us to lunch and then we went shopping.
 
When we got home, Lala and I faced the dilemma of how we were going to get the Christmas tree in the new stand. I'm not supposed to lift over 25lbs because it really revs up my Braxton-Hicks, but Lala pleaded old age general weakness, saying she couldn't lift the tree either. Finally, we decided to BOTH lift the tree while Sam slid the stand under.
 
We heaved that thing up while I yelled, "Do it, Sam! Hurry!"
Sam: I don't know how to do this.
Me: Figure it out, kid! Quick! We all want to get the tree up! Come on!
Sam pulled through and got the tree in the stand just in time because then Lala got the giggles and the wheels started to come off the bus.
 
Me: Why are you laughing???
Lala: You're just so intense with your kids.
(I wonder where I learned THAT from, Lala? Huh??)
 
We opened up our kid-friendly Christmas ornaments only to find that a mouse had made a nice nest in them and I frantically waved the kids away from the nest and the mouse poop, trying to simultaneously vaccuum and convince ND that the mouse poop was, in fact, NOT a pile of black Nerds candy.
 
It's never dull...I tell ya what.
 
Luckily, Grandma K arrived to help with dinner and baths before I could get too overwhelmed.
 
And Joe arrived home the following evening to this sight:
After that, I told him that I was through with decorating the outside of the house. I was in no shape to climb on a ladder this year and would happily and permanently hand over the duties of hanging the Christmas lights outside. (I debated about being less blunt, but really, I've already learned my lesson about having him pick up on hints after our Jack-o-lanterns this year). He and the kiddos braved the cold weather to put up our outside decorations this weekend.
Now it feels like Christmas at our house.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is a whole lot of Christmas going on. Way to go, preggie!