Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

natural labor induction

We have been hanging out in pregnancy purgatory far too long. We have had a few more false starts and I honestly feel like if my body could just get a little push over the edge, labor would really get going. Thursday, I lost my mucus plug and was dilated to a 3cm. Yesterday, a 5cm. Still no baby. So, I've been seduced by the promise of natural labor induction. Here's a few things people have sworn got their labor started. I share them here with the disclaimer that NONE of them have been successful for me.

1. Walking. Deanna came over (again, with the promise I'd be having a baby soon. Unfortunately, she leaves this evening and there is no baby in sight) and has been great encouragement whenever my mood hits rock bottom. Every day, we've been walking miles.Saturday night, Teenie came over after she put her boys to bed and drank wine with Deanna and Joe while I did laps around the living room.  Sunday, we walked 5 miles and got some good contractions going. But, whenever I stop, so do they. Still, no labor.
2. Telling your baby you've had enough. Well, I've been doing this for about a month now, but Sunday morning, I really did start to lose my grip on sanity. I got insanely (although I don't think entirely irrationally) angry at Joe that I was still pregnant and had to have a little cry-fest and a nice, quiet hot shower to regain my composure. Good thing my ever-patient husband took it all in stride and gave me a hug after I threw my little temper tantrum. Bad thing...baby didn't get the message that his mom is bordering on a mental break down and he should GET OUT SOON!
3. Castor oil. I knew this wouldn't work. There is no way it should work and several smart people have discouraged me from trying it. But, a girl has her limits and I got suckered into the idea after reading several birth stories where women went into labor immediately after drinking it. One woman swore she drank it, pooped for 2 hours, and then had her baby 25 minutes after she finished pooping. I heard "25 minutes!" and ran home to drink a castor oil smoothie. It led to some intense contractions...OF MY COLON and after a miserable afternoon of diarrhea, I still was not in labor.
Other things we've tried:
4. Divine intervention. I went to church Sunday and blatantly asked every person I saw to pray that this baby would get out that day. Apparently, I need to be a better Catholic because I didn't get the answer I want on those prayers.
5. Nipple stimulation. I've been watching movies in the evenings with my breast pumped strapped to my chest. Now all I have is sore nipples.
6. Ice cream. Three people told me they went into labor after eating at Dairy Queen or Baskin Robbins. All I've gotten is fat.
7. Spicy food. Same as the above.
8. Resetting my craniosacral pulse. My chiropractor did this and while I was skeptical, I'd probably follow her through fire since she DID get my baby to flip around. She stuck her fingers in my ears and did some magic chiropractor thing I don't understand and I felt amazing afterwards. But, no baby.
9. Stripping membranes. Did this twice. Again, no baby.


I'm still pregnant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for God to give you P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E!
Cynthia
P.S. I've been praying for patience in myself as long as I can remember and anyone who knows me will tell you I have NONE. Contrare...I have way more than I used to have!

lorettapox said...

Awww. I'm sorry, Jen. I'm sure this is hard. Continuing prayers. Hang in there. In the meantime.... I've been stalking you on facebook several times a day!

Deanna said...

You forgot to mention #10 "Have your husband post on facebook that you'll be having a baby that day". LOL

Here's to hoping you have a great weekend with a baby in your arms and not your belly.

Elizabeth said...

According to my midwife, the absolute best way to induce labor involves your husband and getting busy. Just saying...however I have also heard that labor induction naturally (especially the castor oil) only works if your body is ready anyway. Sorry not helpful. But hopefully it will be all over soon.