Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, March 25, 2013

Hungry Henry


Photos courtesy of Christina Kaufman and her new nifty fifty lens.
I forget how life with a newborn really centers around feeding this hungry baby. Nursing him hasn't gone quite as smoothly as the other two, but after a few visits to the wonderful lactation consultants at St. Joe's, we are trudging forward. His tongue is a little tight and his latch suffers for it, but other than a chronic blister on his lip, we are surviving his two week growth spurt.

And, so...we nurse.

Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by all the things I need to do that don't get done in the course of a day, so I make a to-do list.

So many things get on the list and just stay there for days and days...hanging out in limbo.

If I were realistic, a successful to-do list would look like this:
1. Nurse Henry.
2. Get dressed. No, scratch that. I'm spending most of my day topless anyway.
3. See number 1.

The big kids are constantly hearing, "We can do that...just let me nurse Henry first." Yesterday, after being put off for the millionth time, Sam observed, "You know, I thought having a baby would be easy, but it's not."

I couldn't have said it better myself, son.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hang in there Sam! It gets better!

Rae said...

I'm amazed you even had time to type this! :) Sam continues to be wise beyond his years.

Deanna said...

Ah friend, I feel your pain. Wishing I was there to help. Love you girl.