Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

weekly wisdom: brownie pops

This story starts with a four year old boy and his crush on his awesome preschool teacher, Teacher Sasha. Sasha has made a strong connection with our boy who, a year ago, hated going to daycare. Now, he loves it...and gets dressed in the morning based on what he thinks Teacher Sasha likes. (I now know orange is her favorite color and she likes Transformers and superheroes).

So, we had Teacher Sasha over for dinner and a movie last week. Sam really wanted the day to be extra special, so he asked if we could make brownie pops.

Ugh. Brownie pops.

Don't get me wrong. I love to eat the things. It annoys Joe to know end that I will happily plop down hard earned money at Starbucks to buy three of them for me and my crew.  He groans, "One bite of cake on a stick for a dollar fifty!" and shakes his head.

But, never being a crafty sort of girl, the thought of making them seems like a huge amount of work! I think "one bite of cake on a stick for ONLY a dollar fifty!".

But, it was really important to Sam...and we saw a Pillsbury brownie pop kit at the store. I read the directions. It seemed simple enough. People do this every day. Why not? How hard could it be?

At first, things were going well. Sam and I made a box with holes poked in it to hold the pops while they dried. Then, we baked the brownies, cooled them and then rolled them into balls. We melted the chocolate wafers and stuck the sticks in...and then let them chill. All seemed to be going according to plan. I was sure the hard part was behind us.

Last task: melt the chocolate again "but be careful NOT to overheat", dip the pops in the chocolate and coat with sprinkles.

Well, we melted the chocolate about 15 seconds too long. It seems to be a special kind of chocolate because instead of melting, it turned into this rock hard brick in the bowl. Plan B was melting a bag of chocolate chips to coat them with, which turned out to be a messy, but viable option. Soon, our kitchen was covered with melted chocolate smears and sprinkles. The chocolate started to cool and get more difficult to dip, so we ended up breaking off two pops in the dipping process. (Sam and ND were happy to eat the mistakes).

We finally got them done. I chiseled the brick of chocolate out of the bowl. Uncle Phil came over the night before Sasha's dinner and sampled one.

And, Teacher Sasha loved her one bite of cake on a stick.

But, this whole process taught me something: If I made these things for a living...I'd be charging a whole lot more than $1.50 a pop.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I have a friend who makes them for $40/dozen! I was amazed at this cost/mark-up when people could try to make them themselves but now that I've heard your step by step version, I just might be willing to pay that! Way too much work with little ones at your feet and a newborn for you at that!