Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Sunday, July 07, 2013

the worst summer vacation (part two)

Night comes late and morning comes early when you are in a cabin of windows without curtains. Henry and Natalie both did not sleep and Natalie was up with the sun (literally, like at 4:30a). Her tired mama tried to make the best of it and we snuggled on the couch and tried to be quiet so everyone else could sleep. We all had a leisurely morning, drinking coffee and watching the kids play together until it was time to get ready for the wedding.
 
As we took our seats for the wedding, it was quickly apparent that our children (ND in particular) were overtired. All 3 Kaufman kids wanted me to hold them and when ND realized that was impossible, she threw a huge tantrum right as the wedding was started. No amount of coaxing, cajoling or threatening would quiet her, so I dragged her off to the minivan for a time-out.
I was so frustrated. After all we'd been through, I didn't even get to see the wedding! I took a time-out myself, chanting (as I often do with my strong-willed daughter) "God has a special plan for you. He made you stubborn for a reason. God has a special plan for you." When we'd both calmed down and made up, we headed back across the lawn just in time to see the newly married couple march down the aisle to the receiving line.

Things got a little better. I managed to visit with a few relatives, eat some delicious fish tacos and about one hundred homemade buttercream mints. Most people were more than willing to hold my fat baby, so my arms got a rest and I watched our kids play. The fun eventually caught up with Sam and I knew it was time for us to make a graceful exit when he threw himself on the grass crying after a disagreement with Noah. The Eddy kids, however, just kept on going with boundless energy, so Team Eddy stayed to party it up.

That evening at the cabin was my favorite part of the weekend. The big kids and I skipped some rocks and played outside while Joe rocked Henry inside. Eventually, Henry woke up and Joe came outside to start a campfire so we could roast marshmallows. The Eddys saw our smoke signals across the lake and came home to join the fun.

Joe and I got our kids to bed fairly early and I headed to bed myself. In the middle of the night, I woke up to Joe, moaning in bed beside me.

Joe: Ugh. How are you feeling?
Me: (thinking about while I nurse Henry). Actually...not very good. I need to throw up.

At that moment, we both dashed to the bathroom and took turns throwing up the rest of the night. In the morning, Amy & Kevin packed us up while Mom and Dan watched kids. Then, Team Eddy wrestled our bodies into our respective vans and we began the long trek back home. Kevin had to stop for Joe to throw up in the ditch and Joe said he just wished Kevin would have left him there, in the warm sunshine and driven off without him.

Driving in a car when you have food poisoning is notsomuch fun.

I didn't have to throw up until a deer stepped into the road and Amy swerved maniacally to avoid hitting it.

Again, driving in a car when you have food poisoning is notsomuch fun.

We managed to get our crew back to Lewiston and into bed and make it to work the next day. But, I cancelled our trip to Seattle at the end of July. We're not going anywhere ever again.

Ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Sometimes less is more. Next time pitch a tent in the back yard & send a gift card to the newlyweds. However, this is another laugh out loud blog post from you.
Cynthia

Rae said...

Oh I'm so sorry your wild weekend ended on such a yucky note. At least the kids weren't sick too, right?

The Farmer's Wife said...

Please forgive me for saying this, but I'm sort of glad other people have vacations like we do. They always look good on paper, but then when we're living them, I think, "Why did I think this would be fun??? What possessed us to think that 4 days of this would be great???" (on day 2).

Doesn't it blow you away that other people make whole professional looking scrapbooks of their sweet vacation memories?

Sending empathetic hugs...