Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Sam's first day of kindergarten

I am woefully behind in posting these pictures, but every time I looked at them, I got a little misty-eyed. This August, we hit a major milestone: Sam went to kindergarten.
Ready to leave the nest.
And you know what everyone says about that, right?
 "Oh, enjoy these days...they go so fast."
"Before you know it, he'll be grown and out of the house."
"Having little kids was my favorite time of my life...I wish I could do it again."
Oh, stop already. I need some Kleenex.
 
We celebrated the milestone with all of the ceremony it deserved.  The night before, we joined the rest of the school at the annual ice cream social and dropped off Sam's backpack at his new classroom. In the morning, we took a commemorative First Day of School picture before Joe took Sam to school while I drove the little kids to daycare. I joined them at Sam's classroom just before school started.

All too soon, it was time for us parents to go. We patted Sam on his back while he industriously started coloring the picture his teacher had placed before him.

Joe: Have a good day, buddy. It's going to be great.
Sam: I know.
Jen: We love you, honey. You're going to have a great time at kindergarten.
Sam: I know. See you guys later.

Ok, so one-third of this Kaufman bunch was handling the transition just fine.

Joe and I headed off to the first Mass of the school year before heading to work.

At the end of the day, we tripped all over ourselves asking Sam questions about this first day at school. He patiently answered a few questions but was pretty nonchalant about the whole deal.

What was his favorite part of the day?

The school bus ride.
(He's a real academic, that one).

No comments: