Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Monday, December 16, 2013

BELIZE: Snorkeling

I tend to be cautious. My professional experience in nursing has made me all too aware of potential injuries and my personal experience in motherhood has just confirmed that. (Think about it--in five short years, we've had two broken arms, a broken leg, countless elbow dislocations and a seizure).

Frankly, I am a ninny. I have successfully avoided downhill skiing, scuba diving and high ropes courses so far. I don't even bicycle too fast if I can help it.

But, this sort of caution limits your vacation experience, so it was good I had the peer pressure of the adventurous Gemmers and Joe to gently push me into trying new activities.

One of our first adventures was a snorkeling tour to the Silk Cayes. I'd been snorkeling before, but hated the suffocating feeling I got with the mask, so we practiced awhile just off the dock before we actually went on a snorkeling tour. The practice was time well spent and I felt much more comfortable on the tour the next day. We spent the day sunburning our backs while we followed our guide, Kimani, around the small island, looking at coral, fish, nurse sharks, sting rays and sea turtles. It was excellent exercise and we treated ourselves to a nap when we returned home that afternoon.


No comments: