Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Best. Turkey. Ever!

Altmiller Christmas, held the Saturday following Christmas, didn't quite go as planned. Poor Lincoln got very sick with croup and was flown to Sacred Heart where he was admitted to the ICU. We thought about moving Christmas to the Eddys, but Mandi and Jerry, of course, didn't want to do much until Lincoln was better (he's back home now and recovering) and told us to go ahead without them. So, it was a mellow day and we missed them a lot.

But I made a turkey dinner anyway.

It was the best turkey I have ever made so I am posting all about it here for bragging rights so I can remember how to cook it again next year.

We typically have a smoked turkey that Papa Kaufman makes. His turkey is so delicious that we usually turn up our noses at regular turkey. But, because of my usual procrastinating ways, I failed to get him this turkey to smoke and so there I was, three days before Christmas, madly googling "easy turkey", "simple roast turkey", and "best places to order cooked turkey".


I made a rub and rubbed it under the skin:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon white wine
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped*
  • 4 teaspoons onion, minced
  • 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons salt

  • I stuffed the turkey with one lemon, one lime and one onion. Next time, I would pierce the citrus fruit a couple of times with a fork. Then I tied the legs together with string. I put a couple of cups of chicken broth in the bottom of the roasting pan and put it in the fridge overnight.

    In the morning, I sprinkled the outside of the turkey with salt and pepper then put the turkey in at 475 for 20 minutes. Then I decreased the oven to 250 and cooked it for 20 minutes per pound (about 6 hours all together).

    The turkey was delicious and the dark meat was falling off the bone. When I got up at 4 am to put it in the oven, I forgot to cover it in my sleep deprived state so it got a little extra brown. Fortunately, Henry woke me up at 4:45am and I covered it at that point. If I had to do it over again, I would not cook it as long and I would uncover it for the last 20 minutes of cooking so the skin was crispier (per the recommendations of a blogger. As you know, everything on the Internet is true. You can't put it on the Internet if it's not true).

    *The thyme spawned a lot of puns with my clever sister. "Are you sure you have thyme to cook this dinner?" "You know, I always feel like I'm running out of thyme, too." "It's thyme to carve the turkey now." The puns are easier to handle if you drink a Tom and Jerry's while you make dinner.

    No comments: