Finding calm in the chaos

Finding calm in the chaos

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mount Misery Relay




My New Years Resolution was to start training for a half marathon, so I roped my favorite sister-in-law Teenie into running with me and we began to run 2-3 times weekly with Elaine, my ever faithful running buddy. Our dedication and motivation started to lag in late May sometime (my crazy schedule with moving and opening a business probably had something to do with that) and Elaine came up with the idea of registering for the Mount Misery relay as an intermediate deadline to help us along.

Billed to us as "57 miles of fun", we quickly learned from our beer runner group that it was anything but. Most groaned and said they would never, ever do it again. But a few smiled and said they'd done it a few times and wished us all the best. Dan Johnson has done it several times and gave us a few pointers--like starting 2 hours early, which was the best advice I've ever heeded.

We made plans to bring along toliet paper, shovels, first aid kits, snake bite kits, snacks, water, gatorade, and anything else we could load in the back of the pick up. Joe, our faithful driver, drove while we hopped in and out of the truck to run our legs of the relay.

(His one comment of the day: "I never knew how much your running centered around pee breaks. One of you has to pee every time we stop." My reply: "You see how long you can hold your pee after you push out a ten pound baby and then try to run 57 miles." Boo-yah.)

We started with smiles and ran the first 14 miles fairly easily.



Then, it turned into an uphill battle. Straight up. 7000 feet up. Ugh. We got passed by several of the faster teams despite our headstart. A team of beautiful topless men sprinted by us. I thought if only we weren't weighed down by our shirts, we would be just as fast.

After running for 6 hours, we finally reached the top.

I ran that first glorious mile downhill and shouted to my weary teammates, "This is awesome!" We were soon running faster than the pickup could navigate the rocks downhill.

The last half went much faster...and we finished the race in a short 10 1/2 hours, coming in dead last. But, we were all pretty proud of our accomplishments...and celebrated with a post race beer and jumping in the icy cold river.

When I got out, I could barely keep my eyes open and it was quickly apparent we all needed to go home and go straight to bed.

Not sure I need to ever tackle this particular race again. But, I think I will wear my finisher's medal every day. Out grocery shopping. While folding laundry. At Costco.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Jen! My name is Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a question I have regarding your blog! Please email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)